Thursday, April 19, 2012

Journey or Destination

Yesterday, Photo/Hiking/Adventure Buddy (soon to be paddling buddy!) and I went on an adventure.  Adventure itinerary is forthcoming.  For this adventure, I demanded that Buddy plan the adventure.  Our ultimate goal was to get to Canton MO.  Our other goal was to get to Quincy IL.  We got there at 8 pm, a little too dark to look at parks in such.  We never made it.

Buddy and I had agreed to go up MO 79, a meandering state highway that parallels the river.  My thoughts were that we would go up straight to Point A, B and C.  Buddy was like well lets go to here and then here and you know here.  There were cases where we both saw something and were like we have to stop! (Lovers' Leap comes to mind...how could you not stop on an adventure with a name like that?)

For some reason, I thought of the scene in Cars where Sally talks about how Radiator Springs came to be in the state it was in.  In the old days, cars drove on the road to have a great time, not to make great time.  I then had an epiphany.

I realized for Buddy, the adventure was the journey, while for me, it was the destination.  Had I been in charge of planning, we would have missed all sorts of stuff, but with Buddy in charge, we had fun on the journey and it didn't matter that we didn't make it Canton, ride the ferry or get apple cider.

It was all about the journey. :)

No comments: