Monday, March 19, 2012

Beggars

This morning while getting my daily soda, I was accosted by a beggar asking for money.  I don't carry much cash, so I was unable to give him any.  But I wouldn't have anyway.  Beggars make me incredibly nervous.  Especially when they come up to my car when I'm getting out.  Chances are, I will get back back in my car and drive off.  I suppose it is a fear reaction.  I remember when I was about 17, I took my sister to the zoo and a beggar asked us for money and when we didn't have any, she started throwing chunks of asphalt at my car.

It's interesting because if the beggars are quiet and stationary or playing music, I'm more likely to give something.

I feel terribly unChristian when I say no.  And I feel guilty.

1 comment:

pennyante said...

It's a pity that in the kind of world we live in, we women have to think of our own safety before we can think of giving to a beggar (who might actually have quite a bit of money him/herself)... Try not to feel guilty... Cities usually have food kitchens and help for the poor on the street. You can help the poor in other ways... like helping in those food kitchens, etc.