Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Again, not the only one

Deacon Greg has a post on a research survey that looked at why Catholics leave.  I think I agree with one of the comments about how the reasons given should be taken with a grain of salt.  A person may not be able to or want to articulate the real reasons and will latch on to an "easy" explanation.  I feel really embarrassed about admitting I'm leaving the Church because I don't really get it, I don't feel God's presence in my life or... actually I can't really articulate it without rambling.  It is far far easier and simpler to say Father's a dork.

I'd have to say the comments about focus on the rules aren't in touch with most late 1970s catechism.  When I was in the younger grades, it was all about how Jesus loved us and all that.  When I was getting ready for Confirmation in 7th and 8th grade, then it was all about the rules.  I think now the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction.  The teachers who grew up believing that Catholicism is all about rules have a real problem with it now in that they throw out all the rule knowing.

What's happened is they have not adapted those rules into their schema.  They are still external sources of rules, not internal sources of rules...

No comments: