Monday, January 9, 2012

Gum Drops!


Aren't they awesome looking??  I've always been nervous about making candy that isn't chocolate.  Hot sugar burns very badly.  I found this recipe (Scroll down...it's way at the bottom) and it only required knox, sugar, flavor and food coloring.  All of which I happened to have on hand.  

If you make these, more is better when it comes to flavoring.  I'm thinking 1-1.5 oz per 8x8 tray.  I just poured some in (not sure how much) and I think the flavor could be stronger.  I was disappointed in the yellow food coloring.  I used way more than the recipe called for and it's not yellow.  I squirted practically the entire little container in there too.  

Be prepared for sticky mess.  I got distracted while boiling the mix and it boiled over.  I have a gas stove.  Imagine hot gooey stickiness all over the gas pipes and the bottom of the stove and I can't get it all off.  Also, I used throwaway foil pans.  I didn't support the bottom enough.  It spilled.  Alot.  

The recipe said to cut with a butter knife.  I think that is so you don't damage the pan.  I ended up flipping the gum drops out of the pan and onto a cutting board and using a real knife.  I cut the chunks kind of big.  I'm thinking smaller.

I gave some to Photo Buddy, who was kind enough to fix my tripod, and he said they were better than store bought ones and very soft :)

I'd like to try this again but I'd use glass pans I think.  I'm also not sure where to get other flavor extracts.  I know I can get them at the grocery store...but those tend to be imitation.  I prefer to use real flavors when possible.   

2 comments:

Mark S. Abeln said...

If you want a bright yellow color, then use less food coloring, and not more. This is a subtractive color process.

Tina aka Snupnjake said...

Really? Less? hmmmm.
I'm looking for raspberry extract so I can use the neon blue food coloring. :)