The other day, I posted an article called Use It Up, Make Do, or Do Without to a group on facebook. I posted it because I'm very interested in these thing and how to actually accomplish this. The conversation on the thread initially focused on the shoes. The blogger has 26 pairs of shoes and many on the facebook thread thought that was outrageous and started listing what shoes they own.
I blew a minor gasket. I'm trying to figure out how to use things up without spending more money to get more things to use those things up and then I'll have to use the those things up and get more stuff. Ad infinitum. But we are going to focus on shoes.
I think I got upset mostly because where I work, there are lots of shoe fashionistas. When I told my co-workers that someone only had 26 pairs of shoes, they were like how is that possible? You can't live with so few shoes.
You actually can. I have 3 pairs of shoes to wear to work. Black lace-ups, brown lace-ups and a pair of mules. But then again they are giving me grief for wearing so few shoes.
I went out to lunch with my coworkers in November. We went to the mall. Macy's was having a boot sale so they got distracted. And spent the entire lunch hour looking at boots.
Needless to say, I don't get this fascination with shoes. And sometimes, I feel like less of a woman because I don't get it and frankly don't care. I'm happy to wear my birks at all times. Except for going out with Hiking Buddy. Birks are off limits when going out with him. Because we never know where we are going to end up. I ended up walking through puddles in a cemetery in my new birks. (EWWW dead people goo..actually it was walking on gravel that convinced me to stop...mostly...) I wear my hiking tennis shoes now primarily and I debate about wearing my hiking boots at all times. :) Cause you never know when adventure will happen.
I was then being accused of being passive-aggressive. I wasn't being passive-aggressive. I'm frustrated. I'm frustrated that I don't get this shoe thing. I'm frustrated because I feel like my worth as a woman is measured is terms of fashion and shoes and I don't measure up and I am found lacking.
The conversation could have been about make-up or it could have been about purses, both of which are girly things I don't get. The point I'm trying to make is that I feel like my identity as a woman is lacking.
No comments:
Post a Comment