Monday, February 27, 2012

Jake's Last Adventure pt 1

Jake, my basset hound, is slowly dying of lymphoma.  He's getting weaker by the day.  Last fall, I had read an article about someone who's dog was dying and he created the perfect day for his dog.  I decided to that for Jake.  I had hoped to wait for a nice warm day so the windows could be open and he could stick his head out the window, but it was not meant to be.  There was one problem however.  Jake is now having good days and bad days.  The day I picked for his perfect day was a bad day.

Where did we go?
On Saturday we went to:

  • Chick Fil A (Jake luves the mini-biscuits)
  • Meremac State Park to look for Caves.  Jake was having none of it.  Slimy stuff on his paws.
  • Meremac Conservation Area.  Nice flat trail.  Jake was so slow I let him walk off-leash. :)
  • Three Squirrels Winery (Jake luves squirrels...)
  • St. Michael in Steelville
  • Dillard Mill State Historic Sight.  Jake was like a Missouri Mule.  I ain't walking anymore and you can't make me.
  • Hope Springs in Steelville
  • Chick Fil A
Sunday was a really nice day too.  Hiking Buddy decided to clear out his schedule and come with us.  We took Jake to a Shrine in Starkenburg to ask for a miracle for Jake.

On Sunday:

  • Church of the Risen Savior
  • Our Lady of Sorrows Shrine, Starkenburg
  • 4 wineries :)
We still have to get Jake his ice cream.

All total, we went 506 miles.

1 comment:

pennyante said...

What a thoughtful idea for Jake to have a special day. And I believe it was as important for you as Jake's caretaker and doggie-friend as it was for Jake. Too bad, he couldn't hang out the window but at least you made most of his favorite things happen.

We miss you both and love you in the midst of this sad time...