I'll save my thoughts for the only health issue that is of any concern to women is breast cancer for another day.
Apparently, yesterday the Susan G Komen Foundation has decided to stop giving Planned Parenthood grants for breast exams and such because Planned Parenthood is under government investigation and it is policy of the the Foundation to not give grants to those being investigated. Which is a fine policy if you ask me.
I question why the Foundation is giving money to Planned Parenthood in the first place. If you asked me (as a previously poor, uninsured woman) where to go to get a breast exam, the answer was not (and still is not) Planned Parenthood. You go to that bus that BJC drives around to get a breast exam. Shows up on Schnucks parking lots every so often.
You go to Planned Parenthood for abortion, birth control, condoms, pregnancy testing, you know things related to parenthood.
So I've always been a little confused as to why there was funding in the first place. Although, I did serve on a board that decided where monies were going to go. There was a lot of trading going on...
UPDATE:
So I'm reading Good and see this article. I'm having some logic problems. I'm sorry, how is following your organization's policies, procedures and by-laws spineless and/or cruel? I don't follow my place of employment's policies I get fired. I don't follow my university's guidelines, I don't graduate. Then the author of the piece says that many people assume this has something to do with abortion rights...and instead of clearing that up, she goes on reinforce those assumptions. I'm also a little confused as to how donating to a fund that provides abortion helps low-income and minority women get breast exams. I'm also curious as to how many women use Planned Parenthood for all their health care needs. The article makes it seem like Planned Parenthood is the only place available in the hood. Here in St. Louis, Planned Parenthood isn't in the hood. It's in on the outskirts of one of the best neighborhoods in the city. Conveintantly close to 3 universities....Now in rural areas this may well be the case...but in urban areas..
No comments:
Post a Comment