Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What is Love?

Today is St. Valentine's Day.  If I were from another planet.and dropped here, I'd think the day was about candy, flowers, red stuff, pink stuff, alcohol, and food.  That if I spend enough money, that someone will love me.  I might even get lucky.  To the casual observer, the day is not about love.

My facebook feed has been packed with sappy wishes and questions about how do you show love and can you fall in love at first sight and other romantic drival stuff.

But what is love?  I know the Bible has a great deal of things to say about love.  I don't know where to find the majority of the verses.  I only know the section in 1 Corinthians


Love is patient, love is kind.
It is not jealous, (love) is not pompous,
it is not inflated,
it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, 
it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury,
it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth.
It bears all things,
believes all things, 
hopes all things, 
endures all things


But what does this even mean?  How will I know it when I see it?  Of course, being into science, I was curious as to what science has to say on the subject.  Scientific American  did not disappoint and featured all kinds of articles.  Even Ph.D Comics got into the act as well as XKCD.  And How Stuff Works

St. Valentine was a martyr.  He died for his Faith.  That is love.  It is sacrificial.  To love something or someone so much as to sacrifice all for that thing or person.  And if necessary to let them go.

I wish I knew what love was.

1 comment:

pennyante said...

One example of love is what you feel for Jake... what you do for Jake... What you put up with in your family over Jake... Translate this to human love for some one or for one another.... Translate this also into how God loves...