I was asked today why I don't have a PhD in astrophysics since I thought of myself as a scientist instead of an educator. Becuase I was essentially cornered, I had to tell the truth.
I first went to graduate school in the Fall of 1998. For the first time, I was on my own and completely in charge of myself. I was free. I didn't study as much as I should have and I started to struggle. I didn't understand it at first. Before, I was always able to skate by with studying the week of the test. It was not working. It turns out I had ADHD. I had finally reached the point where the cognitive demands were too much for my coping strategies. I also decided that I wanted experience teaching. I had thought about going into Astronomy Education Research (AER) or Physics Education Research (PER). I thought teaching would be good thing to experience so I wouldn't sound like a hypocrite. I also wasn't sure that this was what I wanted. I had yet to form significant friendships with anyone and the loneliness was eating at me.
I graduated with an MS by the skin of my teeth and went on to teach at a community college. Within a week, I knew I had made a critical mistake. I had made the wrong decision. I grew to hate going to work. I would get sick every morning. I wasn't a very good teacher either. I'm not patient and I have high expectations. I wasn't able to convey this in any kind of teacherly way. It was a disaster. And even more so because while I recognized that there were problems, I was unable to solve them or even attempt to solve them at the time.
I knew at the time teaching was not for me. I decided to go back to grad school and get my PhD. I had regretted not seriously attempting it and I was fixing that.
Again, I did not study as much as I should have. I can blame my family, I can blame the stars in the sky. The simple fact of the matter is I did not sit my butt down and study. Modern physics totally escaped me and I responded by totally avoiding it. I failed the Qualifier. Twice. I was not getting a PhD in physics.
The one goal I had in life crashed in front of me. Looking back, I can see I became seriously depressed. The next year is a blur. I couldn't find a job and I was despondant.
I was offered a place in a program for a PhD in Education. I took it because I was at a complete loss of what to do with my life and I needed more time. It took another year before I wasn't so seriously depressed.
I've graduated and I have a PhD. But the failure still haunts me and follows me around.
I was asked what I want to be when I grow up and I have no answer. All I can think of is not to be a failure.
No comments:
Post a Comment