Sunday, June 17, 2012

Critique of Through the Gate

I took this picture
Through the Gate
I love the concept of the photo. I really like natural framing as provided by the gate. It suggests something that was hidden but is now revealed or looking with a different perspective.
I'm not liking the execution of this photo though. The framing is too tight...cutting off the Chuli glass rays. The gate is too emphasized while the vase in the background is underemphasized. And there is some bizarre keystoning going on.
Here are the other two shots I took:

In this shot, the vase and the gate are equally emphasized. However, I didn't get all the Chuli glass in. And there's that keystoning.

In this one, I got all the glass, but not the gate. And there's that funky angle going on.
I'm not sure, which one is the best?

1 comment:

Mark S. Abeln said...

That’s a difficult shot. I’d stand back much farther, so as to get all the glass, and zoom in, so that the vase is larger relative to the opening. Also, I wouldn’t want to shoot into the sun. Afternoon or evening might be better, with good flat light hitting everything.

The keystoning can be eliminated by careful camera placement and camera angle, or can be corrected in post processing.